Thursday, March 7, 2013

Wikiphobia: The Latest in Open Source Reading Response

I had a really hard time following this article. I felt like i had to go back and keep reading this author's gibber gabber. A teacher, named Neil Waters, found his students using false information, which they found from Wikipedia  Other encyclopedias are also not acceptable for citation either. Bothered by this miss use of information Waters decides to write a new policy: 1. Students are responsible for the accuracy of information they provide, and they cannot point to Wikipedia or any other similar source that may appear in the future. 2. Wikipedia is not an acceptable citation, even though it may lead to a citable source.

Yes, The author did argue his point well. He first says everything that he wanted to change for the department in his school, and then fully backed up in the information he had. He talks about the benefits that Wikipedia does have but still finds a way to make sure students don't use it in their writing.There aren't really any holes or questions left simply because I was taught to never use Wikipedia, therefore, I don't really care about it. It doesn't exist to me.

I agree with the author, as I said before, I was taught to never use Wikipedia because its such an open source.

Golden line: "Google whisked me immediately to Wikipedia." I love this line because it is most commonly the first source Google pulls up for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment